It is our belief at Chamber College that all students can become successful learners of English and we understand that those who study English as a foreign language often face challenges either in an educational setting or in a business environment. Since their competence in the language can influence their career paths, lessons are designed to optimise the learner’s progress through methodology that focuses on desired learning outcomes.
In order to achieve the desired objectives by the end of each student’s course of study, we provide ongoing support in the form of up-to-date materials and training that allows teachers and learners to:
- Set clear goals and learning outcomes
- Manage student expectations of their own learning abilities
- Allow students to be involved in their own goal setting
- Create standard practice and provide continuation as students move across levels
- Identify areas for remedial action, further support and scaffolding
- Recognise areas of strengths for further development
- Improve understanding of language functions in real world settings
- Monitor and assess learner progression at any given point during the programme
- Help with time management to increase confidence and reduce stress
By using an analytical approach we aim to ensure that our students are engaged in a variety of learning opportunities that focus on all aspects of their work – be it at the process, product or performance level.
“Analytic syllabuses generally represent the educational value system espoused by progressivism, which stresses the growth and realization of the individual”.
[The ELT Curriculum: Design, Innovation and Management – R.V. White; 1988]
Thus, teachers encourage collaborative learning, engaging students in the investigation of real world situations in order to maintain motivation and challenge perceptions through critical processes.
We perform systematic needs analyses as classroom dynamics change, that recognise individual as well as collective learning objectives. Careful lesson planning ensures the successful outcomes of the learning objectives and is adapted to account for the different learning styles, personalities and knowledge that the students and teachers collectively bring to the classroom.
To take into account both theoretical principles and practical usage, Continuous Professional Development is encouraged to ensure that our methodologies remain current, relevant and pertinent to the ever changing market of the EFL industry.